From:
Steve Forst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Apr 2008 19:00:14 -0400
Hi Rick,

I'd agree that a tactile control is probably the way to go and a TV rotor is
all you  need for this beam.  If you go to RS you should at least be able to
get your hands on it and see if it suits your needs.  Both Alliance and
Channel Master made  rotors with a   knob  that has a mark  on it.  You turn
the knob till the mark points to  the heading you want  and the antenna
follows.    There are still a lot of them floating around at hamfests  and
perhaps online  Maybe Norm's Rotor Service or The Rotor Doctor can help..

For computer control you will need a true ham type rotor and the  added
stuff in the control box. Even in a used condition you are looking at a few
hundred bucks for rotor and computer controllable box.

This may not suit your needs, but I'm using  a CM 9521A TV rotor from
channel Master.  It's in current production and sells for about $80 (maybe
less if you are a good shopper). Includes rotor, control unit, and remote
control.   The small control box has a 3 digit red led display and cw / ccw
buttons.  With some usable vision you  just hold in one of the buttons till
the heading you want appears in the window.   I can't see mine, so I  just
use the included remote control.  Enter  a 3 digit number between 000 and
360 and the antenna goes to that heading. You can also program  up to 69
memories.   Program  the heading for a particular repeater or friend in and
recall that heading any time. The control box clicks when rotation starts
and again when it stops, so you have some Idea of what's going on.  Using
mine to turn a rotatable dipole for 10/15/20 meters.

73, Steve KW3A