From:
"Mike Duke, K5XU" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Duke, K5XU
Date:
Thu, 14 Oct 2010 05:44:41 -0500
I don't recall the exact explanation, but it has something to do with
the way single sideband was originally generated.

That original circuit, for whatever reason, shifted to upper sideband
above 40 meters.

Many transceivers did not give you the selectable sideband option as
late as the mid 60s. The National NCX3, Swan 240, and I think the Swan
350 were like that.

The original Heath HW12 series was too. The A model added the
selectable sideband option.

Speaking of the HW-A series, I acquired an HW32A 20 meter model from
the estate of a friend. For who knows what reason, it has two lower
sideband crystals in it. I have the crystal for upper sideband, but
haven't changed it out yet.

K5XU