From:
Mike Freeman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Oct 2002 05:07:36 -0700
Terry:

I find that the ">" signs are quite useful and that if I do not want
them, I just go into the "JAWS Verbosity" settings and back off on the
punctuation till they disappear.  I'm sure that Window-eyes has a
similar functionality.  Also, it should be borne in mind that any change
in O E's settings won't zap ">" signs that are already in the text; it
will just prevent the sender from adding another layer of them.

That said, to get rid of them, go to the Tools Menu, Options submenu,
the Send tab of that submenu and tab over until you come to the first
"Plain Text Settings" button.  Hit spacebar to activate it.  Tab until
you find a checkbox which says "Indent the original text with".  Tabbing
once more gives the combo box in which the quoted character is given.
If you uncheck the checkbox, this combo box will disappear.  Hit ENTER
twice (Okay is the default) and you're back in the message list view and
when you reply, the original text won't be quoted.

HTH!