From:
Ron Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Jun 2008 22:54:20 -0400
Hi everyone,
I'm just catching up on my email, I hope this is still apropos and of
interest, though you've probably already made a decision about a compass.

I've found that the audio compass is okay for general use but inadequate if
you want to be very precise regarding finding and maintaining an accurate
heading. For instance, there are only 8 compass headings available: north,
northeast, east, southeast, south, southwest, west and northwest. The more
accurate 16 compass headings are not provided so you cant get your heading
refined to less then 45 degrees. Also, heading by degrees is not provided
either.

GPS devices will be able to provide your travel heading in degrees, so you
can maintain the heading you choose but will only be useful while you are
moving. You cannot use a gps device to determine the direction you are
facing while standing still like you can with a compass. So you won't be
able to use a gps device to stand in one spot and pivot in place until you
find the direction in which you wish to travel. Also,neither device will
help you keep from veering while traveling, you will still be facing in the
direction you wish to travel even when you veer and a gps device will not
provide the resolution necessary to provide immediate warning as you begin
to veer. You will have veered at least several feet off course before a gps
device will begin to "notice" that you are drifting.

73

Ron Miller
N6MSA
Clearwater, Fl. U.S.A.