From:
Ron Canazzi <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ron Canazzi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Sep 2007 17:52:46 -0400
Hi List,

Well, here's the deal.  An old (I think they used to call this type of
migrant) Snowbird friend of mine (years ago) just moved to Florida in 2006.
He was a ham radio operator up here in my neck of the woods--Western New
York State.  He claims he is afraid to put up an elaborate outdoor antenna
system of any type because of the greatly increased risk of lightning
strikes in Florida.  He says that he has found that Florida is the
'Lightning Capitol of the World' and that he is supported by the neighbors
in his area who agree with him.

This whole scenario seems a bit odd to me--since I have talked to numerous
Florida hams who never mention this fact.  I have recently asked 2 of them
about the situation and neither of them seems to believe that the risk is
that much worse than anywhere else.  My friend lives on the Gulf coast.

What do any of you Florida hams think of these claims?

The Scourge Of Authoritarianism Is Intellectualism