From:
Tom Behler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Jun 2015 15:16:56 -0400
Dave:

I understand, but here's my major question.

Perhaps I should have just sent another e-mail with just this question:

Don Terrell from Alpha Delta Engineering suggests that I simply use a
wide-ranging tuner with my DXCC antenna out at the RV as it currently is,
and call it good.

So, here's what I'm thinking:

I have an old MFJ 901B manual versatuner that is not being used for anything
right now.

Could I use that to basically tune the antenna, using receive noise as my
indicator, and then just touch things up with the internal auto-tuner in the
TS480?

I have always heard that doing this would cause the tuners to work against
each other, which could create real problems, but I never knew whether that
was true or not.

Of course, I do have an LDG TW1 talking SWR/watt meter at the home qth, but
hate to tear things apart to use it during the relatively short times when
we are camping.

Does anyone have any wisdom on this latest idea?

Tom Behler: KB8TYJ