From:
Buddy Brannan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Jun 2008 08:43:36 -0400
On Jun 25, 2008, at 3:39 AM, mike wrote:

> Why verizon ???????

I'd ask the same thing, having just left Verizon (1.5 MB down/384K up)
for Roadrunner (Time/Warner, claiming 7 MB down/384K up, but my
upstream speed seems to be a bit closer to 512K and downstream speed
is just hella fast). Of course, mine was a move from DSL to cable. I
can think of a couple reasons why one might leave Comcast:

1) I've seen reports lately of some pretty nasty bandwidth throttling
an port blocking and stuff like that, presumably to limit P2P file
sharing apps such as bittorrent. I've seen reports of lots of ISP's
doing this, but Comcast is one that jumped out a lot.

2) John got Fios. It brings in digital TV and high speed Internet
access over fiber (as opposed to over copper as DSL does), and claims
to be screaming fast, although I haven't seen any numbers yet. I'd
probably do the same thing, except Erie doesn't get Fios.

One reason I switched (apart from cable posting higher speed, that is,
until everyone in the neighborhood sucks up all the bandwidth, I
suppose) is that Verizon's Web page just really pissed me off
recently. Apart from it just being an annoying and difficult page in
general (their "screen reader friendly page" is no better), one day I
went to see when my one-year commitment was up, and it said I might be
eligible for an upgrade. Hmm, better speed maybe? So I went to see
what they had for me. Nope, just new equipment to be charged for (and
the router they sent me had what has to be the worst interface I've
ever seen). No, no upgrade, thanks, so I went to close the page.
Except they pulled some trick where I couldn't close my browser. The
page was holding me hostage! That isn't nice.