From:
Pat Byrne <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 Dec 2015 18:49:05 -0600
My first operating was on 160 when I got licensed in 1957.  Around
Chicago, at that time, there was a lot of local activity and a lot of
help for a kid who really didn't know what he was doing!  My best
antenna was a 40 or so foot center loaded vertical, with a three
spoke capacity hat, with the elements about three feet long mounted a
foot or two above the loading coil.  I only had a couple of radials
down, was limited by a very small city sized lot, perhaps 35 by 100
feet.  The antenna was directly outside the shack window, located in
the basement.  The antenna was intentionally tuned long, so an old
variable capacitor in series with the #12 wire feedline from the
antenna brought the system to resonance anywhere in the band.  My
best DX was a San Francisco station on c w, running about 25
watts.  There were 50 watt power restrictions on the band at that
time, due to LORAN, an old timey navigation system used, I guess on
the Great Lakes.
Good days.  Lots of fun and lots of things learned.
Pat, K9JAU