From:
Phil Scovell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Aug 2013 17:40:48 -0600
I have a broadcast friend that told me one day to loop all my coax coming into the shack just outside the wall by twisting it into three loops about 3 feet in diameter and taping them, or use plastic ties, so they don't uncoil.  In other words, about the shape and size of a car tire.  It isn't 100 percent a sure thing but some resistance to lightning before it gets into the house is better than none.  He said a lot of the smaller broadcast transmitters used to do that before connecting it to a ground system.  Another broadcast tower climber and electronic repair friend of mind said the smaller towers he climb for broadcast stations to change dead light bulbs and the like, were grounded by placing a coin, a nickel he said, between one leg of the tower and the grounding system of ground rods and underground wires so the lightning would arc over at that point.  No, you don't leave the nickel there, you remove the nickel, but that's how he judge the thickness between the ground system and the tower.  Why?  Because towers for broadcasting are the antenna; the whole thing is the antenna so the ground couldn't contact the tower itself without screwing the resonate frequency up in the broadcast band.

Phil.
K0NX