From:
Keith Reedy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Mar 2004 20:55:48 -0500
It is interesting that the G5RV thread would come up at this time on the
list, because I have been having some problems and I'll try to relate them
to you along with the answers to the problems.  For years we ran a Kenwood
TS-450SAT  of course with the built-in tuner.  I never had a problem at all
80 through 10 tuning the G5RV.  We've had the Kenwood  2000 for about 2
months and I noticed that we were having problems tuning 40 and 15 with the
Kenwood 2000's built-in tuner.  A number of other hams that I had talked to
were having problems with the newer tuners:  Kenwood, Yaesu, Icom, so I
wanted to know why.

It's like this:  The newer tuners are the "new and improved" models grin
smile.  The older tuners used motors to select the proper capacitance while
the newer tuners use relays to switch in capacitance networks which will
supposedly keep the transmitter happy.  This may not be true of some of the
more expensive new auto tuners, but it certainly is true with the new low
cost auto tuners.  However there is an answer for this problem.  MFJ makes
an Auto Tuner Extender Model #MFJ 914 that sells for about $50.00 which may
very well solve your particular problem.  When placed between the antenna
and your transmitter, you can use the rotary switch on top of the extender
to select various capacitance levels which will aid the auto tuner in not
only tuning the G5RV, but most other antennas.

We just installed one here today and all of the problems are history.  Hope
this will be as much help to someone else as it has been to us.

73,
Keith WA9DRO
Keith-WA9DRO
Illiana Skywarn Coordinator
God gives His best to those who leave the choice with Him.
Hudson Taylor