From:
colin McDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Oct 2010 13:30:06 -0600
yeh, a stand alone hardware bassed box would be great...something that can
easily reboot and come back online if power fails or if the internet goes
down temporarily.
that's always the crucks of the issue...if something goes side ways, you
have to be able to physically control your station and shut things down or
what ever...anything can happen...I suppose if the radio is set to SSB and
starts transmitting on it's own, nothing too bad can happen as long as there
isn't audio going through.
I've heard a few remote station operators...usually wealthy business guys
who set up a station at one of their more isolated homes and run remote from
other homes around the country etc.
i haven't heard anyone using the 480 this way, but quite a few IC7800's and
so on.
just being able to slap down 11 grand on a rig like that must be a nice
feeling.
73
Colin, V A6BKX