From:
Patrick Byrne <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Dec 2001 17:58:41 -0600
Hi Dave,

I have owned both handhelds.  As a matter of fact, I owned a couple of
O2ATs.  The VX5R is accessible, but all of the menus seem to have added
levels within them and are a bit hard to program from the keyboard.  I saw
a response that suggested the R T systems VX5 software.  I think that is
god software, and the only thing that I had trouble accessing was the
"power level".  Finally that was accesible using the JAWS cursor.  Good
radio and tough as hell.

The new Kenwood is new to me:  I have only had it a few weeks but I like it
a lot.  Its keyboard is just a bit more intuitive to me; I think that Icom
has the most intuitive HTs, but they haven't come out with anything as
grand as the Kenwood or the Yaesu.  The headphone/mike jack on the Yaesu is
a four circuit device and it was hard for me to find a proper plug to
listen with an earphone.  Turns out that the programming cable for the R T
software will permit you to use a standard 1/8 headphone plug.  The Kenwood
uses a micro plug; it is easier to find than the four circuit, but is a bit
inconvenient.  I carry a little adapter to go from 1/8 to micro, and that
does the job.

Press the zero on the VX5 and you get the strongest NOAA weather broadcase.
 Press "4" on the Kenwood and you get the same deal.  Nice feature.

Battery technology is great with both transceivers.  Part of me is a little
sad that I let the Yaesu go, but I had to to afford the Kenwood.

Both transceivers use the S  M A antenna connector, so all the old B N C
based antennas you used with the Icom are obsolete unless you buy a $10
adapter!!

Hope this helps; both are great radios.

Good luck.