From:
colin McDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
colin McDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 May 2012 15:13:11 -0600
what bands does it occur on? or perhaps a better question, which bands is
the noise the worst on?
You could use a cap to ground from the posative lead of the speaker
wire...this might attenuate some audio frequencies though.
Shielding is a viable option as well...copper foil around the inside surface
of the speaker case could help to prevent the rf from getting into the
speaker coil.
Also, what is happening is that the cheap realistic preamp is picking up rf
and sending into the speaker at a far higher level than what would occur
with an non-amplified speaker.
An audio isolation transformer between the radio and speaker might also help
to get rid of RF on that line.
Try connecting the speaker to a properly regulated and filtered 13.8V power
supply...in other words, it might be the wallwart that is causing allot of
your problem.
Back in my CB days, I tried amplified external speakers, and always had RFI
problems through the speaker even with 4W on AM.
Perhaps a ferrite choke between the preamp and the speaker itself, inside
the case, might help to get rid of RF before it gets to the speaker coil.
so there you go.  As you know, with RFI, there is seldom one single thing
that you can do to make it disappear.
But, with enough experimentation, you can usually accomplish the task of
making the noise go away, or at least, drastically attenuating it.

73
Colin, V A6BKX