From:
Colin McDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Apr 2006 14:57:17 -0600
tom:
the coax is indeed a fairly integral part of the antenna.
It is not necesarily a part of the radiating sections of the antenna, but it
certainly has a roll in the over all function of the G5RV.
Remember the theory you would have had to study regarding swr and feedline
length and so on to get your ham license?
If you are still sceptical, look it up on the internet, there are some great
sights that get into feedline length and optimal coax length for different
types of antennas...there are some mathematical formulas that can be used to
determine feedline length and type bassed on the radiating element and or
elements of the antenna.
In the case of the g5RV, it is the combination between the coax length  and
the latter line length that allow the antenna to be so broad banded and
exhibit a low swr on all the bands that it does.
When you take a part of that equation out, you also affect the way the
antenna functions on all of those bands.
73
Colin, V A6BKX