From:
"Alan R. Downing" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Dec 2014 08:46:43 -0700
CW is normally found from 50.000 to 50.100, and USB from 50.110 to about
50.200.  Very seldom is the band from 50.200 to 52.000 used for anything.
At least in my experience.  Beacons are generally found from about 50.060 to
about 50.070, and they are always CW.  The international calling frequency
is 50.110, and the domestic calling frequency is 50.125.  I would say that
95% of all SSB traffic is found from 50.110 to about 50.160.  Occationally
when the band is open, you will find stations operating up to about 50.200,
but it is quite rare.  FM, including repeaters are generally found above
52.000, but I have never used it.  I believe that the FM calling frequency
is 52.525, but perhaps someone could confirm that.  Since I don't operate FM
on 6 meters, my knowledge about the FM band plan is minimal.

I have found that having a dedicated 6 meter station is necessary in order
not to miss openings.  In my case, I use a Kenwood TS480SAT driving a legal
limit tube amp, and a 9 element M Square yagi up at about 85 feet.  You also
want to use high quality coax on 6 meters to minimize loss.  I use LMR900
from my shack out to the bottom of my tower, then LMR600 from the base of
the tower to the top.  My rotor loop is about 12 feet of LMR600UF.  I
generally leave my 480 on and parked on 50.125 so I don't miss anything.

HTH

73

Alan R. Downing
Phoenix, AZ