From:
Lloyd Rasmussen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lloyd Rasmussen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 31 Dec 2012 21:14:05 -0500
Perhaps there is a menu item where the voice guidance speed can be adjusted
in the '450.  I'm not sure.

I have written several times before about using the FT950.  I have had it
for nearly 5 years now, and still think I made the right decision in buying
it.  If I were starting out right now, I would take a hard look at the
TS590, but I don't see a need to switch to that rig from what I currently
use.  The FT950 has enough knobs and switches to satisfy most hams.  The
keypad can be used either to select one of the three "band stack" memories
for each ham band or to enter frequencies.  Beeps indicate when buttons have
been pushed, whether an erroneous entry was made or the SWR is too high, and
when a secondary function has been activated.  There are real knobs for
adjusting squelch, mike gain, monitor level, CW speed, and RF and AF gain.
Several different tuning rates are available, and on A M it can be tuned in
5 or 50 KHz increments if you wish, using the detented Select knob.

Sometimes I really want to know what frequency I have tuned to.  You can
accurately estimate, based on the current mode and tuning rate, or read with
N1MM or Ham Radio Deluxe's "voice synthesizer" option.

I have looked at the manuals for the FTDX3000 and 5000, and am not sure how
you would get to a particular menu number.  There may be a way, and I have
never had my hands on those rigs.  It may seem tedious and unnecessary, but
I can reach any of the 118 menu items by counting clicks.

Anyway, I'm only saying that the FT950 gives me enough accessibility to get
by, and is a good value.  No rig is right for everybody.
73,  W3IUU