From:
Martin McCormick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Jan 2011 15:28:37 -0600
	I am not surprised. That is just a lot of power any way
you look at it.

	When XERF first came on in the thirties, the transmitter
tubes had to be specially ordered. The transmitter was
water-cooled. I wonder, back in the late sixties or seventies,
if when the US and Mexico negotiated a better broadcasting setup
for the AM band, they just turned down the screen voltage on
that monster and kept it loafing along on 50,000
Watts. Just think, that transmitter was designed to put out
500,000 watts all day long so it probably could do 50 K for the
next 75 years and just get a little dusty.

	Seriously, it was probably full of PCB oil and hard to
keep going so they probably just scrapped it and bought a modern
transmitter.