From:
Terry Robinson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Terry Robinson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Aug 2013 09:55:53 +0100
Alan,

I've had an ACOM 2000A for about three years and like it a lot. Having said that, it's developed a fault at present, but I don't think that's unexpected, although I'm told they don't normally go wrong (HI).

The ACOM is capable of QSK operation, but the TR relay eventually gives up so these have to be replaced from time to time if you do a lot of QSK. Since I had to do this 18 months in, I've been more circumspect about the amount of QSK operation I need.

The amp box itself has very little on it except the cooling fan and the on/off switch, the amp is controlled by the remote control unit which is physically plugged into the amp.

This control unit includes a display which gives a lot of information that isn't very useful to those who can't see at all.

The buttons are accessible and the basic operation is simple.

Before using auto-tune, you have to set up the amplifier for each segment in each band on the antennas you plan to use. This isn't difficult (I only use one antenna per band, though I think several can be accommodated, I don't know how accessible that feature is).

Having set the amp up, it'll just tune itself according to the band it senses at the input, so changing bands is very easy!

The down side for me is that it doesn't cover 6M, so I had to acquire another amp for that band. As it happens, I like to play on our 4M band, which this second amp covers, so it is by no means a waste.

I'm happy to discuss further, but there's my initial contribution. All-in-all, I'm pretty satisfied.

Cheers,

Terry

DESCRIBE ONLINE - IMPROVING ACCESS THROUGH INFORMATION

Terry Robinson B.Sc
82 Albert Rd.
Crosshill
Glasgow
G42 8DR
Tel: 0141 423 2683 - Mobile: 07771 610002
Web: www.describe-online.com

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 8653 (20130805) __________

http://www.eset.com

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 8654 (20130806) __________