From:
Phil Scovell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Sep 2007 17:15:38 -0600
Just connect all equipment to a master shut off switch, and install a good
ground with everything connecting to it.  Whenever you aren't on the air,
turn everything off, unplug that master switch so nothing is hooked up to
the the house current, and unscrew all the antennas and connect them
directly to the grounding system.  That's what I do and my antenna has been
struck by lightning with me standing three feet away from the grounding
switch.  I'm fine.  I can't father children any longer and my hearing is
about half of what it was back then but like Steven Right always said, You
can't have everything, where would you put it.  Oh, also, tell your friend
not to operate during an electrical storm just to be safe.  One other thing.
You unplug everything from the wall because most equipment fries occur do to
lightning striking nearby power lines and spiking back up into the house
wiring.  Every word I just typed is true except the hearing and the
fathering children part.  I am not 100 percent sure about the fathering
children bit because it has been 25 years since my last child was born but I
am pretty sure I still remember what causes it.

Phil.
K0NX