From:
Dave Allen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 1 Feb 2016 13:35:51 +1300
Hi Scott!

No.. What you need to know depends on what the contest requires.

For example, some think the only signal report is 599 ie 5NN, but some folks
give a true signal report, and if an RST reading is specified by the
contest, then you need to record what it is.

AGN is again, but QRZ or QRA are often helpful, as is QSL or R.

TU is Thank you, but TNX (Thanks) is OK too.

Some tests require you to record the serial number assigned by the contact,
so if it does, you better know how to copy numbers, rather than assumptions.

Some tests include an op name in the exchange. Again, in that case, you need
to record what is given not what you think it may have been. For example, if
you work WD8LDY you might think the name should be Dave. It usually is, but
I have used another name as a way to pay tribute. One year duing the NA QSO
party, I used the name Matt to pay tribute to a young ham friend that had
committed suicide shortly before that test. I often use the name Hick, just
because it's fun, and because it's a badge of pride that adds colour to my
signal, much as accent can in SSB.

73,
Dave