From:
Lloyd Rasmussen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 19 Feb 2009 20:33:07 -0500
The Enabling Technologies RB20 and RB40 have a roller knob to the left of
the left tractor feed for adjusting the paper.  And all of those embossers
have a heavy metal piece, called the platen which has indentations like
those on a braille slate into which the paper can be pushed by the solenoids
and pins.  The platen is held down by two long bolts with knurled knobs at
the top. The height of the platen determines the shape of dots and whether
they break through the paper.  There is no electrical or menu adjustment for
impact on that generation of Romeo embosser, only washers that determine how
far down you can tighten the nuts that hold the platen in place.  This is
how Enabling was making their units during the 80's until the early 90's.
The plastic piece sits in front of the platen and solenoids.  It helps keep
the paper flat while it is pulled through the mechanism, but if it was
missing, you still should be able to get good braille much of the time.  If
the embosser has a braille serial number on it, this will be in the well
between the left and right tractor feeds.
73,
Lloyd Rasmussen, W3IUU, Kensington, Maryland
Home:  http://lras.home.sprynet.com
Work:  http://www.loc.gov/nls