Date:
Fri, 24 May 2013 18:44:16 -0400
I've developed a healthy respect for plate caps.

I remember when a ham neutralized my old Hallicrafters rig with TV sweep
tubes, i.e. probably only 600 volts on the plate cap.  He touched the tip of
a screwdriver to the plate cap and it made a helluva an arcing noise.

When a friend brought over the AL811A I purchased and was hooking up a jack
for my tuning aid, you could hear the caution or fear in his voice as he
worked inside that amp, even with the power disconnected.  You never know if
those bleeder resistors are really working and I think that thing runs 1800
volts on the plates.

Steve, K8SP