From:
Lou Kline <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Jun 2007 22:42:43 -0400
Hi Jerry.

It is legal only if it is a frequency where you have voice privileges.  A
cheap and dirty code key is the easiest way to make these checks since you
usually want a steady carrier for 5 seconds or so to make your
measurements.  A string of dashes on the paddle just isn't as easy to work
with.

Actually, I prefer straight keys, myself, although I do own a very nice
keyboard keyer that was made by MFJ.  But what I did with my station, since
I have several radios on various bands, I made up a switch box that uses a
double pole 6 way rotary switch to select which radio I want to connect the
radio or the keyboard keyer to.  Across the key, I wired a single pole
single throw toggle switch which can be used to short the keying line,
thereby effectively giving me a tune switch when I want to use both hands
to adjust the antenna tuner.  I put a panel of six quarter inch phone jacks
on the back of the switch box, and ran shielded audio patch cords between
the jacks on the back of the switch box and the key jacks on each of the
radios.  It was a simple project to build, yet it has made my station so
much more functional.  Sometimes, it's the little things that make a big
difference...

73, de Lou K2LKK