From:
"Mike Duke, K5XU" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Duke, K5XU
Date:
Wed, 28 Aug 2013 21:30:33 -0500
Most on this list may remember my post about the factory
tours during the 40th anniversary. For those who have come
along since then, there are basically 3 buildings: MFJ,
Hy-Gain/CushCraft, and Ameritron, plus a metal shop which
most of us did not visit.

(That metal shop was a skating rink when I was a student at
MSU, so I have seen the building several times anyway.)

One of my favorite parts of the tour was talking to the guy
at
Hy-Gain/Cushcraft whose jop
it was to "see if I can set these antennas on fire."

I asked him what he did when one did in fact catch fire, and
he said: "I grab it up with a pot holder, and bolt out the
back door with it."

Of course, I then tried to get him to melt one down for us,
which he naturally declined to do.

But, it was fun trying, anyway.

His "RF tester" was a nearly 30 year old Dentron MLA2500 amp
running at full tilt.

Let's just say that the 2500 in the model number of that amp
meant exactly that.

Mike Duke, K5XU