From:
"K5XU, Mike Duke" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
K5XU, Mike Duke
Date:
Sat, 1 Dec 2001 23:53:12 -0600
  You don't have to use VOX in order to have an open mic or a real screw-up.

About 20 years ago, 5 friends and I drove from Vicksburg Mississippi to
Birmingham, Alabama for their Ham Fest. We were in a large Lincoln,, and had
added a second two meter rig for those of us in the back seat.

On the way home, we noticed that two meters was very quiet as we left the
ham fest. About 25 miles later, I shifted my position in the back seat, and
heard the "time out" message from an area repeater.

I did notice that the seat was more comfortable after I moved from off the
rather large Drake touch tone microphone upon which I had apparently been
sitting.

I also had my keyer get stuck once, sending several minutes of dashes before
I happened to notice it. After that, I try to remember to either disable the
vox when not at the rig, or disconnect the keyer.

Shortly after I bought my first radio with the WARC bands, I heard a DX
station that was really in the clear on the low end of 20 meters, or so I
thought. I called him quickly, and he came right back. He gave me a 59
report and asked me to check my dial. Since I had just added a home made
talking readout to the TS-830, I gladly did so. Uh Oh! I had forgotten that
12 meters was between 10 and 15 meters on the band switch. This was before
the 15 meter phone band was extended to 21.200. I had worked him on 21.205,
45 kHz below the bottom of the phone band.

Not too long ago on our local 75 meter frequency, a guy fell asleep and
began snoring loudly. About 30 minutes later, he came too and really took a
kidding from the neighborhood.

Okay, enough midnight confessions!

73,

Mike, K5XU