From:
Howard Kaufman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Mar 2009 20:02:06 -0500
I just wanted to tell you a story about my misadventure and it's solution.
About a month ago, I suddenly couldn't backup or restore my boot drive,
because of a bad sector or sectors on the hard drive.  Now normally you
choose chkdsk and have it repair and exclude bad sectors, the system
reboots, fixes the errors and returns you to windows.  I run spybot, which
installs a program called t-timer.  Now t-timer, sees any change to your
settings or starting software, and asks you to accept or deny the change.
Well, when running chkdsk, this dialog popped up just as windows was
shutting down.  Therefore their wasn't time to navigate the dialog, check
the boxes, before the computer shut down.
Well, I was planning to buy partition and install a new hard drive.  This
morning, I ran chkdsk, but before doing so, I turned off t-timer from
msconfig.  Now everything worked the hard drive was repaired, and I have a
new backup made this afternoon.  Now even if this drive crashes, I have all
my setup in this computer as of noon today.

I don't know why I didn't see the solution sooner, but just to tell the
story if any of you run in to a problem like mine.

H T Kaufman MSW LCSW
Adaptive Technology Instructor