From:
David W Wood <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
David W Wood <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Dec 2001 17:32:59 +0000
Hello

I have used a variety of rigs mobile.
Drake TR7, Yaesu FT900, FT1000MP DC, Kenwood TS570.

We have ample space in our car as generally only two of us in a saloon
with a dog in the back.  If the rig doesn't fit under the passenger
seat, then I put it behind the passenger seat.  I have a permanent 12V
supply in the passenger compartment screwed onto the vertical member
between the front and back doors on the passenger side into which I can
plug the lead from the rig.

I currently use the TS570 and control it from my laptop which I power
from its internal battery, but I guess this could be done through the
cigarette lighter socket with appropriate interface.

For an antenna I use a 9 inch diameter mag mount with a whip antenna on
the roof of the car.  The whip comes from a company called Sandpiper
Communications in GW.  Unlike other whips, it has a fly lead which you
plug into the different tap points toward the base of the whip to select
the appropriate band.  No unscrewing of coils and risking dropping them.

I have previously just used a few feet of stainless wire tuned with a
Smart Tuner, but the current arrangement works reasonably well, and one
less bit of kit.

Incidentally, the vehicle is a Ford Escort, which I think is equivalent
to the Plymouth in the U.S. - the five door version.

73 de G3YXX
--
David W Wood