From:
Steve Forst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Sep 2015 12:17:51 -0400
/I have the 998 (higher power) and will defer to someone who has the
994, but for what it's worth:

As Jim mentioned, there doesn't seem to be any audio feedback. The SWR
beeps on some of the tuners  are  a bit clunky, and I don't use them,
but if you have no other way to  get swr readings, they could be
helpful.  But again, not available on the 994.

Also doesn't seem to have the CW messages  I hear on the 998: "QRP" =
not enough power for a tune, "QRO" = too much power for a tune, "QRT" =
exceeded max power and tuner is going into bypass.

I took a quick look at the manual and notice some of the things that are
announced by beeps on the 998, use   the meter pointer moving to various
things  on the 994.  As  an example,  if I want to switch the
capacitance between  input or output, I would hit 2 buttons and a single
or double beep will tell you what you just did.  On the 994, this is all
visual, using a meter pointer.

There are a few other things that use this visual system, you would have
to read the manual and see if any of them are crucial to your needs.
Maybe not a deal breaker.

If you do go this route, and plan on interfacing to a radio, you would
be better off with sighted help to set up the radio interface.  It is a
simple matter of selecting your radio from the menu, but the menus
don't  speak, wrap around, and always revert to the last used menu (not
menu number 1).   Unless the menu system has been changed for this
model, it can be  hard to work through .    I did figure out how to
reset to my radio model, but it was a lot of trial and error.  I've
never had to mess with menus in  over 7 years, so the menu thing
shouldn't be a problem, unless  (like me) you do a bone head hard reset
of the tuner.

Many of us are using LDG or MFJ tuners with great success.  Good luck in
your choice.

I'm not saying this is a bad choice for you.   Read the manual and see
if what it offers is what you need.   Also not sure how this one
indicates no match.  If interfaced to a radio,  the radio may give some
indication, but  if the tuner just keeps clanking away for an extended
period, you can be pretty sure it is having problems.

73,Steve KW3A

/