From:
Louis Kim Kline <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Nov 2008 17:47:13 -0500
Hi.

I'll tell you a funny story about that.

Back in the spring of 1991, we had a major ice storm that put enough ice
load on my 80 / 40 inverted vee antenna system to not only break the wire
at the feedpoint but also cracked the wooden mast that was supporting the
whole thing.  I decided I wasn't being knocked off the air, so as soon as
the electricity came back I found a section of PVC of sufficient diameter
to stuff what was left of the wooden mast inside one end, and I made as
good a mechnical connection as I could and raised it back up in the air.

Being one of those "I'll get around to it" guys, I naturally didn't get the
antenna system fixed properly while we had nice weather and on a mid
December breezy day, I was operating on 80 meters and noticed a fluctuating
SWR and lots of crackling in the receiver.

A ham friend of mine, Keith Hibbert, WB2VUO, lived just down the road and
had a butane fired soldering iron.  I called him and asked if I could
borrow it to make repairs on the antenna.  He came down to the house, and
we pulled the antenna down.  After cleaning up the wire, he proceeded to
light the iron to make the solder connection but every time he would get
ready to solder, a gust of wind would come along and blow the iron
out.  There we were, sitting on top of my horse barn (I lived in Bergen, NY
at the time), trying to figure out how we were going to make a sound
reliable connection, when I got the idea to sit upwind from him and spread
my coat open as a wind block.  So, there we were in 19 degree weather--with
me spreading my winter coat wide open while Keith soldered the
antenna.  Our church secretary, a sort of nosy fretting woman was driving
down the road, and nearly drove off the road when she saw the blind guy
perched on top of the horse barn with his coat spread open, looking like he
was preparing to fly somewhere for the winter!

73, de Lou K2LKK