From:
Steve Dresser <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Aug 2013 13:32:37 -0400
Richard,

The biggest advantage to the Kenwood is that you get true dual-band
operation, by which I mean that you can be monitoring one repeater while
actually working another one.  With the cheaper handhelds, once the radio
hears something, it locks onto the signal, and you can't listen to the other
band until the current signal disappears.  Also, the Kenwood covers three
amateur bands, and can receive everything from the AM broadcast band up
through 800MHz (excluding cell phones, of course).  Of course, if your main
consideration is price, and you don't want the additional features, then go
for the cheap handhelds.

Steve

until the first signal goes away.