From:
colin McDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Oct 2010 18:21:30 -0600
hey all:
well, as has been my habbit of late, I've been checking the 11M band  to
hear if there are any openings on that band and therefore openings on 10M as
well.
11 was wide open to the south eastern US and mexico from northern alberta,
so I checked 10M.
There was no voice traffic that I could hear, then again I don't have a 10M
antenna of any kind here.  I use my 40M ham stick to listen on 10 and 11 and
it seems to receive reasonably well.
anyway, KH7C from Hawaii was blasting in around 28.0035 peaking at around S9
on cw.
He was sending very quickly so it took me a while to figure out his call but
once I did I went and looked him up on qrz.com.
He's located on one of the smaller hawaiian islands on an old 30 acher AM
broadcast station site.  The ground system is still there and he's got two
sets of 120 radials 350FT long...so an exceedingly good ground system.  He's
active mostly on 160 and 80/75M, but he must have gotten something pretty
decent up for 10M as well since he was the only station I could hear on
voice or CW on the entire band.
Now I know that with my settup, a station has to be pretty strong and the
conditions have to be relatively good for me to hear anything on 10.  I was
quite surprised that there was no other traffic on the band since it had to
be wide open across north america bassed on the cb band conditions.
I am guessing that no one has yet begun to check or call cq on 10M because
the propigation has been so poor for the past few years.
It looks as though the cycle is beginning to ramp back up a bit with 11
being open from about noon until 5PM daily.
it's been consistently noisy for the past week or so here.
So perhaps those of you with 10M capability should start checking and
calling on 10 and 12M to see what you can scare up.

anyone else had success on 10 or 12 in the past week?

73
Colin, V A6BKX