From:
"Mike Duke, K5XU" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Duke, K5XU
Date:
Sat, 27 Mar 2004 21:50:11 -0600
The K2 wins the accessibility question hands down. I'm seriously considering
trading one of my TS570s for one.

There is a key pad option for the 817 which is sold by a W2. It's the same
guy who makes the QSYER option for
the 706 and other Icom rigs.

But, this guy told me himself that because of some different Yaesu
configurations, many Yaesu functions are not available through the key pad.
I believe that one of the missing functions is the ability to select a
specific memory.

I sold a VX5 because I refuse to be totally dependent on a computer to
program a rig. I'm afraid it is the same way for the 817.

This is really too bad, because the 817 could be the "one size fits all"
radio for apartment dwellers, vacationers, and those of us who are just
plain adicted to radio. It could be that radio, if and only if it were
indeed usable.