From:
Patrick Tice <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Aug 2013 15:16:32 -0500
Barb,

You can put the Echolink application on as many devices as you care to.  If
you are using multiple computers, you have several choices:

1.  Go to your router's advanced admin settings and forward ports 5198 and
5199 UDP and port 5200 TCP to one of the computers, preferably the one you
plan to use the most for Echolink.  That main computer will then run
Echolink via "direct connect".  For the other machine, go into the Echolink
application's settings and choose "public proxy" instead of "direct
connect".  To make a successful connection you need to refresh the list
(sometimes multiple times) and pick a public proxy that is accepting
connections.  This can be tedious as there are so-called "public" proxies
that really are not public but they are still allowed to be listed that way.
You will probably end up not using the second machine much for Echolink
because of the hassles.

2. Go to your router's advanced admin settings and forward ports 5198 and
5199 UDP and port 5200 TCP to your main computer.  A second device, such as
an iPod Touch or iPhone may be connected to your wireless network and access
Echolink through "relay", so no ports need be forwarded for the portable
device.

3. Go to your router's advanced admin settings and locate port triggering.
Trigger ports 5198 and 5199 UDP and port 5200.  Now you can set up as many
computers and devices as you wish with "direct connect" in Echolink, but
only one can be used at a time.  The first one to request traffic through
those ports will get priority.  After you close the Echolink application,
the ports can then be triggered by another device, but sometimes it takes a
network a few minutes to reset.

I use the port triggering here at my QTH and find it works reliably.  It can
be a journey of discovery to find where the setting is hidden in the
router's admin pages, so you might have to give up and read the manual.
(Always my last resort!)

Finally, remember that you can only log in to Echolink with your callsign on
one device at a time.  Since login is automatic once you set up the
application, you don't want to have Echolink running simultaneously on
several devices.

73 - Pat

Patrick Tice