Date:
Thu, 16 Jul 2009 07:52:06 -0400
Hi Rick, and a belated congrats on the upgrade. Don't be discouraged  ,
conditions will improve, your skills will improve, and hopefully so will
your antenna situation.

Is something wrong with the Cushcraft?   What bands are you trying to work
without success?   Getting it higher should  help, just be careful  about
those power lines.

You can look at shortened dipoles from Alpha Delta, Hy Power, or others
Look for "limited space dipoles"..

http://www.alphadeltacom.com/

http://www.freewebs.com/hypower/

If you have a tuner, maybe  just a simple non-resonant dipole, as long as
possible fed with ladder line through  the tuner will cover multiple bands.
Or the mini G5RV which is only 51 Ft. long, but  will limit you to 40 and
higher and also require a tuner.

160 meters will be a tough nut for you,  but 75/80  should be more doable.
You didn't mention  how many supports you have.    You will need at least 1
( mast, house, or tree) to hold up the center, Or 2 supports to hold up the
ends.    The higher the better, but some guys  do ok with very low dipoles.

BTW, where are you located?

73, Steve KW3A