From:
"Howard, W A 9 Y B W" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Sep 2015 22:39:23 -0500
Ron,

Below is text from the MFJ-297 desk mic manual I got off the MFJ website.

When you read the description of the mic on the website, it only mentions
the up and down buttons and not the four additional buttons.  You only learn
about the four buttons if you actually read the manual.
MFJ needs to correct the description of this mic.

Note:  This mic has up and down buttons plus four additional keys labeled
for specific functions, however, I believe you can assign functions in the
TS590 menus to the four buttons.

Partial manual text follows:

Desktop Microphone
Instruction Manual

Please read this instruction manual completely before using the MFJ-297
Desktop
Microphone.

Warning! The MFJ-297 is not designed for two transceivers to be connected at
the
same time. If two transceivers are connected at the same time, serious
damage may
result to both transceivers.

Features

.
High quality low noise microphone
.
Highly sensitive condenser microphone
.
Built-in Amplifier
.
Voice quality selector switch for FM or SSB use
.
Electronic touch switch for PTT and PTT (LOCK) operation
.
LED "ON AIR" indicator
.
UP & DOWN buttons to change radio-operating frequency from the microphone
.
CALL, VFO, MR, and PF function buttons (for Kenwood transceivers)
.
Flexible gooseneck
Specifications

.
Microphone : Wide-band Electric Condenser Microphone
.
Output Voltage : 1 - 30 mV (RMS)
.
Output Impedance : 500 - 100KW
.
Power Source : 2 AA Batteries
.
Power Consumption : 2 mA (RX), 3 mA (TX)
.
Dimensions : 3.93701 (W) X 6.10236 (D) X 1.37795 (H) in ches
.
Weight : 0.99208 lbs.

CONTROLS

1.
Power Switch. Press switch to turn the power "ON". The "ON AIR" indicator
should begin to flash. Press the switch again to turn the power "OFF".
2.
ONAIR LED Indicator. When the power is "ON", the LED will flash to indicate
receive (RX) mode and the LED will be illuminated continuously when in
transmit
(TX) mode. When the power is "OFF", the LED will not be illuminated.
3.
PTT Switch. Press the switch for transmit mode and release the switch for
receive
mode. This can be used for a short QSO. If you have pressed the PTT LOCK
switch, the lock can be released by pressing the PTT switch.
4.
PTT LOCK Switch. Press the switch to lock the microphone in transmit mode.
The
"ON AIR" LED indicator will remain illuminated after the switch is released.
disable the lock feature, press the PTT switch to return to receive mode.
5.
UP/DOWN Switches. These switches are for changing the radio frequency up and
down. For details, please refer to your transceiver instruction manual.
6.
Microphone. An electret condenser microphone is used for clear voice
quality.
7.
Special Function Buttons. These buttons allow you remote access to the
special
features on your transceiver. These buttons are not compatible with all
transceivers.
The buttons are as follows:
CALL - Selects the call frequency
VFO - Selects VFO mode for manual tuning
MR - Memory Recall selects preset memory tuning
PF - Activates the Preset Function feature

8.
Microphone Output Connectors. Please use an interconnecting cable that is
compatible with your transceiver. Cables are available separately. For ICOM
and
MFJ transceivers, plug the cable into Microphone Output Connector "A". For
Yaesu
and Kenwood transceivers, plug the cable into Microphone Output Connector
 "B".
9.
FM/S SB Voice Quality Selector Switch. Change the selector switch for the
microphone output audio quality for the mode in which you will be operating.
In FM
mode operation, the output is adjusted to provide a clear voice quality with
wide
frequency characteristics. In SSB mode operation, the output is adjusted to
provide a
sharp and crisp voice quality for effective DXing.
10.
Selector for Output. The switch allows you to select the Microphone Output
Connector that is suitable for your transceiver. For ICOM, Yaesu, and MFJ
transceivers, the selector switch should be placed in the "A" position. For
Kenwood
transceivers, the switch should be place in the "B" position.
11.
Output adjustment Volume. This is factory set to 10 mV RMS output from the
microphone. If needed use a 3mm flat head screwdriver to adjust the output
to suit
your transceiver.
12.
Battery Cover. Open the battery cover and insert two fresh AA batteries (not
included). Be sure to note the polarity markings inside the battery
compartment.
Caution

.
Please be careful about high SWR of antenna and incomplete grounding. This
may
cause RF feedback noise and could damage the MFJ-297.
.
Please turn off the power after use to extend battery life.
.
It is recommended that the batteries be removed from the MFJ-297 for
prolonged
periods of inactivity.
.
Do not place the MFJ-297 in high temperatures and avoid direct sunlight.
.
Do not connect more than one transceiver at a time to the MFJ-297. This
could
damage the transceivers.

Cables for MFJ-297 Desktop Microphone

MFJ Model No. Compatible Transceivers Microphone Output
Connector
Selector Switch
Position
MFJ-5397I ICOM 8-Pin Round A A