From:
Colin McDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Feb 2009 17:44:31 -0700
someone did think to make them accessible, but the thinking and advocating
fell on absolutely deaf ears.
which begs the question of why our advocating is so ineffective most of the
time?  Deaf advocates have managed to make closed captioning a standard in
the tv and movy industry, yet dvs and talking menus haven't even begun to
make inroads in the industry.
likely something to do with the steady bickering and lack of solidarity in
the blind community of north america...too many political agendas and not
enough advocacy going on for the things we all want.
There wasn't some organization of the deaf fighting against closed
captioning when it was being fought for.  they didn't have an NFD thinking
it could dictate how deaf people should live, work and entertain themselves
or how they should act within society or how to socialize themselves.
73
Colin, V A6BKX