From:
Pat Byrne <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Dec 2010 12:28:48 -0600
Chad,
The mag mount idea should work well.  In the past I have used J-pole
antennaes which are commercially available.  They are made of "ribbon
cable" and terminated in coax and a coaxial connector.  They will
hang on a wall or in front of a window and do not need the ground
which a mag. mounted antenna would like to see to work well.  And a 2
meter J-pole, in my experience does a good job on 440 mhz.  Amateur
Radio Supply or Ham Radio Outlet can sell you one inexpensively or
you could dig around and find the specs. for one and build it yourself.
Good luck.