From:
Lloyd Rasmussen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 19 Oct 2010 23:02:42 -0400
I got my Novice license in late 1955 and had an NC88 receiver in my dorm
room at the Iowa Braille and Sight-Saving School.  By the fall of 1956, ten
meters opened up like gangbusters.

Diathermy machines, when you heard them, were a loud broadbanded buzzing
signal whose frequency wasn't stable.  27 MHz, like 13.56 MHz and some
higher bands, was an "industrial, scientific and medical" band, where other
occupants could expect some QRM from unlicensed stations.  The band was
changed to Class D Citizens Radio Service in the United States sometime
during 1958.

While 11 meters was a ham band, because it was considered a "junk" band, you
were allowed to run A0 emission, which meant unmodulated carrier.  This
meant that you could operate in a duplex mode, leaving your transmitter
running while you listened to other stations on a different band.  I used to
enjoy listening to a W1 who would call CQ DX toward Europe on 11 meters,
then leave his transmitter on while he tuned his receiver across the ten
meter "foreign phone band" from 28.5 MC and lower.  He could always hear a
lot more with his beam than I could with dipoles and my NC88.  It was a
blast while it lasted.  BTW, this was all A M.  Ten was almost the last band
to have any SSB activity; I heard my first SSB stations on 10 in about 1963,
I think.
73,
Lloyd Rasmussen, W3IUU, ex-K0DDA, Kensington, Maryland
Home:  http://lras.home.sprynet.com
Work:  http://www.loc.gov/nls