From:
Colin McDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Colin McDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Mar 2010 20:50:59 -0600
for this particular antenna, the loading coil is fixed.
It is spaced windings up the fiberglass tube to about 6 inches from the top,
where it is wound into a loading coil, so tight windings.  The windings are
insulated from weather with shrink tubing or something similar.
You can adjust the top whip up and down, and I believe it may be able to be
adjusted down into the top of the fiber glass tube a little way as well.
This adjustment is for different portions of the band I'm assuming.
power rating is 250W, but you can get a slightly bigger wire gage wound
stick that will handle 1500W.
I payed $30, but they're listed on MFJ's website for $19.99 each...that
includes resonator and whip.

these are monoband antennas only, though you can buy multi-band antennas of
similar design from MFJ.
The series is the hamtenna or HF stick 1606 to 1680 line...mono band
antennas for all ham bands from 6 meters up to 75/80...no 160 that I know
of.
There is the MFJ1622 which will do 40M through 6M on one stick.  and there
are a couple more like that, but I can't remember product numbers.
Go to
HTTP://www.mfjenterprises.com
and look at antennas.

the midland dual band antenna is a 5/8's wave on 2M and 440...with a closed
trap in the middle.
73
Colin, V A6BKX