From:
Butch Bussen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Oct 2010 07:28:31 -0700
I'm not sure, it is kind of like which came first the chicken or the egg.
  Many early radios were designed in such a way that the 80 and 40 meter
bands were derived by the difference frequencies between the vfo and
mixer and the 20 15 and ten meter bands used the sum of the vfo plus
oscillator.  Hope that makes sense.  If you remember theory, when you mix
frequencies, such as a vfo plus oscillator you get on the output, both
original frequencies plus sum and difference.  In my national ncx 200
which was my first radio, the if as I recall was 5.2020 and the vfo was
somewhere around 9 mhz.  Anyhow, when your mixing a signal and one of
them is ssb, if you use the sum, the sideband stays the same, and if you
use the difference such as my national did for 80 and 40, you get the
opposite side band.
73
Butch Bussen
wa0vjr