From:
Colin McDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Dec 2014 09:38:46 -0700
well it's obviously not impossible is it lol.
And I expect that this issue, as rare as it may be, speaks to some of the
greater issues with the JFW product over the past few releases.
I know that sending out the wrong cd might be a completely different issue
than problems with the software itself, but those problems tend to over lap
into a general discontent with the product in it's current form.
And while I'm not going to get into a technical discussion on specific bugs
and problems, I will say that FS hasn't revamped JFW and fixed many of the
integral issues that have plagued it for years and years.
It's still the #1 screen reader on the market hands down, but one would
think that after 20 plus years of development, some of the major stuff would
have been fixed by now.
So a comment like what is fs trying to pull has some resonance with those of
us who feel that product development has been poor of late.
It isn't a matter of poor logic, or sheer bloody mindedness on the part of
the commenter, but an expression of a general feeling towards the product
and company for some of the frankly rediculous oversights in programming and
development.
And yes, I realize resources are limited and all the rest of the stuff that
goes into software development and the companies involved therein and the
struggles they face.
But I don't think I'm the only one on the plannet who feels, that after
being a JFW user for 20 years, we are ready to see some major improvements
to software that is hugely over priced in todays market...and that we are a
bit wierry of release after release with minimal bug fixes as well as new
bugs that effect our daily use of the software in a work environment, and
the same old upgrade scheme for going on 3 decades.
Please don't try and make us feel that FS is just some upstart company with
some altruistic desire of helping out blind people to access their
computers.  That changed many years ago and the ship has long since sailed.
FS is a money making entity with seemingly limited regard for their customer
base because that customer base has little alternative and is mostly driven
by tax payer dollars and not by the end consumer.
I also dont' think it is appropriate for a representative of said company to
start a pissing match with the end customer about his or her feelings on the
product or the company.  It isn't the right place to engage in such a
conversation.
If I were to take your comments to heart, I would now believe that being a
fellow ham, and JFW user, that I must now drink the coolade, and shut up and
not voice my opinions or thoughts on issues I face every single day and that
I should just be glad that someone, in this case a multi-million dollar
for-proffit organization, is nice enough to provide me with some kind of
access and that I shouldn't want or expect more out of them.
This would be appropriate thinking if FS was a non-proffit small
organization struggling with limited funding and limited resources to try
and make something new and usable...but that is really not the case.
When you are representing the top dog in a software field, you have to
accept the good and the bad and not try and debate on a personal level the
marrits of someones discontent.
If this is how FS responds to less than glowing comments or responses, then
no wonder there is discontent.

73
Colin, V A6BKX