From:
Steve Forst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Aug 2013 00:03:51 -0400
Kent,

I think you are making your life  mor complicated than it has to be
before you even gotten your feet wet.

You have several options, but none of them will be fun.

Your headset will probably have a 1/8  audio plug that will need an
adapter to connect to the 8 pin mic connector on the front of the rig.
  You can buy a microphone switch box to allow 2 mics to connect to a
single radio.   You could connect the headset adapter  and the hand mic
to this box and  switch to the hand mic  when you use the buttons, then
switch back to the head set afterwards.

You could build yourself a box with  buttons on it to emulate the pf
keys and  accept any mic you wish.

You could have someone modify the hand mic, break out the audio line and
put in a  jack to plug in your headset mic.  Your keys would work and
you would have your headset mic, but you will have to develop  a ptt
scheme: either vox, or a foot or hand switch.

   There is software on the Kenwood site that *I think* would allow you
to keep the  hand mic plugged into the radio and run the headset mic  to
the pc and send audio to the computer.  I think this software is
designed   to allow use of the pc's mic and speakers when  controlling
the radio remotely.    I honestly don't know that much about it, but
there may be something there worth looking into.

There may be some easier way to do this, but it's late and I'm drawing a
blank.

You could get a desk mic with pf keys, and just not use the mic part of
the headset  Or afix the hand mic to a boom and key with a foot switch
to keep your hands free.  (This wouldn't be my first choice, but it
could work in a pinch).
.

73, Steve KW3A