From:
"Richard B. McDonald" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Jan 2016 18:47:14 -0800
Hi Steve!

WOW, that was gnarly (as we say here in LA)!  Indeed, you previously
mentioned that silly jumper.  Well, I figured it would likely be there, and
that I would open up the 998 only if I had to.  Surprise surprise: I (we)
had to ; )

That jumper is like 1/4 the size of a pea.  There are no instructions on it
anywhere - the manual, the Internet, nothing.  Thank God my Elmer (Rick,
N6IET) is *so* techy.  He found it, determined it was in fact not "jumped"
and fixed it.  It is really weird: it is a tiny square with two micro holes
in it, and it seats onto two tiny winy prongs on some circuit board thereby
"jumping" it.  Whoever had this 998 before me was a full-on techy too
because even though he "unjumped" it (for his own good reasons I am sure) he
had the good technical practice to leave it on one of these two tiny winy
prongs.

Having properly set the jumper and buttoned up the 998, it now works great.
What a nice tuner.  BTW, you are right - it is *really* loud as it churns
away.  So, it is all good now.  Rick even ran the "Relay test" on the 998.
I am so lucky!  Oh, yes, it now beeps when I turn on the rig, which it did
not do before.

We did not get to the ALS-1306 today.  That will be Saturday's project.
About the amp enable jacks, well, it seems that that function is handled by
the interface cables; which have keying operations - or something like that.
That said, I am not opposed to using them.  We still looking at this issue.
More on this later.

Finally, there is one odd thing happening with the 998 only in the frequency
range ~29.5 - 29.7 MHZ.  it kind of seems to have trouble figuring out how
to tune.  Rick is going to help me explain this more technically in a
separate email.

This was awesome!  Thanks so much for your help.  Without this kind of help,
I would be lost.  Standby for all the drama come Saturday when we set up the
amp!

73,
Richard KK6MRH