From:
Colin McDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Jan 2013 01:05:43 -0700
wow, finally got a chance to listen to the audio.
I can't believe the audio quality over all, never mind that it's being
recorded from an FM receiver.
Those guys sound absolutely beautiful.  In fact, i have never heard any
recording from 1941 with audio like that.
I wonder what kind of mikes and processing they were using on the
transmitters.
Paul in the boston studio sounded the best with a very very warm mellow
sound, second the guy in paxton sounded bold and crisp...mostly to due with
his particular voice and the slight room echo behind him...the washington
mountain station also sounded very good with incredibly clean full audio.
That is the best of tube technology at work there...  There are no pre WWII
audio recordings that I've ever heard, especially musical recordings, that
sound that good.
I suspect mostly because no one close miked any instruments back then, yet
the guys were speaking very close to the microphones.
Perhaps some equalization was done recently, but still, the source audio has
allot of bottom end and significant high end for the time period.
I can tell telephone audio hasn't changed much since then lol.
Perhaps more clerity in the audio now, but still that thin harsh limited
audio.

Thanks for this recording.  I now know that FM radio was being experimented
with even that far back.
The first full duplex repeater system essentially.

73
Colin, V A6BKX