From:
Butch Bussen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Dec 2014 09:43:58 -0800
Not exactly ham related, but info I thought some might be interested in.
Anyhow, I don't know if any of you receive social security notices on cd
or not, but I do and I have found something strange the last year or so.
The file has an extension of doc and the readme.txt says this file or
notice can be read by wword 2003 or later.  not exactly true.  When I try
to read it in 2003, I get garbage.  I installed a conversion program some
time ago so my word 2003 will read d o c x files.  If I change the
extension to this file to a d o c x, the file reads and converts fine.
Presumably the doofuses who create these think all they have to do is
change the extension.  In reality these files are actually a d o c x file.
Just thought I'd pass this along.

73
Butch
WA0VJR