From:
"Alan R. Downing" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 Aug 2013 11:30:46 -0700
I have a Icom 775DSP which I am about to put out to pasture.  The radio
works as good now as it did when I bought it.  It is still better than many
current radios.  It is just that modern radios, especially the top end
models, are so much better in terms of their DSP functionality, better in
terms of filtering, selectivity and sensitivity.
The amp that I was using this morning is my Henry 5K Classic.  It runs a
pair of 3CX1200A7 Eimacs.  If I push it hard, which I seldom do, it will
output 5000 watts.  I bought it a year and a half ago from an estate.  The
surgeon that passed away, had over 50 amps in his house here in Phoenix.
Some of those 50 amps had never been used, including my Henry.  When I
bought it, it had never had a plug on the end of its power cord.  It is a
terrific amp, except that it generates heat that you wouldn't believe.  I
recently installed a very large air conditioner in the wall of my shack.
With my home's two cental A/C units running peddle to the metal, it still
got hot enough in here to broil steaks, Hi.  The new A/C unit here in my
shack, is large enough to turn my shack into a frozen food locker, whether
the amp is on or not.

73

Alan R. Downing
Phoenix, AZ