From:
Gary Lee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Mar 2004 21:57:51 -0500
Darrell:

I looked at the sgc, but wasn't impressed about its ecessibility.
As for the argonaut V, forget it.  All menu functions are access with a
continuously turning knob which is not detented.  Also, no voice or cw
output at all.  This is an amazing oversight on the part of tentech, since
the radio is largely software defined.  IN my previous conversations with
tentech, both email and phone, they showed no interest in adding
accessibility to any of their rigs.
I sent comments to them when they requested, during the design of the argo
V, and the 526 (6 and 2 meter rig).  Got absolutely nowhere.

Now to antennas.  Never seen a miracle whip, but have read many comments;
mostly negative.
I would recommend the pac-12 from pacific antennas.  THis is a portable
vertical which breaks down into several pieces none of which is over 12
inches long.
It can be purchased as a kit, or the building instructions can be
downloaded from the american qrp club web sight.
I have built one, and will test it and report here after I work out a few
mechanical problems.
These are related to me, not the design of the antenna.

When you read about it, it mentions separate coils for each band.  This
works well, but I have built a tapped coil to cover 40 through 10 meters.
Feel free to write with any questions.

pacific antennas sight, www.pacificantennas.com

american qrp club www.amqrp.org

Good luck.