From:
"Mike Duke, K5XU" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Duke, K5XU
Date:
Sun, 27 Jan 2013 12:43:11 -0600
At our hamfest yesterday, somebody had a Tram Titan II. It looked to
be in
pretty rough shape, and needed a good bath at the very least. It
didn't have a price on it, and there was nobody around to ask when I
saw it, which may have been a good thing.

That's the first one of that old CB rig I've ever seen at a hamfest. I
see a set
of Browning Eagles now and then, and occasionally one of the later
Trams from the mid 1970's, but not very often.

For those who weren't around CB rigs in the late 60's, the Tram Titan
II was considered by many to be the ultimate radio. It was built with
a lot of chrome, and made to look like it was mounted in an equipment
rack style cabinet.

It had a traditional no clicks tuning dial for the receiver, and a 23
channel switch for the transmitter.

The big draw for it was that it would receive SSB, and would transmit
double sideband with suppressed carrier.

The AM transmitter audio had a characteristic sound about it that I
can't really describe other than to say that if you ever heard it, you
knew what the other guy was running the next time you heard that
sound.

In 1967, it weighed in with a price tag of $495. So needless to say,
not just anybody had one.

Mike Duke, K5XU