From:
colin McDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Jan 2011 16:07:03 -0700
it was always pretty straight forward to me...if it's got a hole where a pin
can enter, it's a female regardless of the outer shell or the rest of the
connecter.  If it's got a pin that can enter a hole, it's a male, again,
regardless of the rest of the connecters configuration.
You always refer to the center of the connecter, not the outside.
If you were to refer to the outside, then yes, a PL259 would be the female,
and the so239 would be the male...but we always refer to the center of the
connecter...that is industry standard.
same with refering to jacks and plugs...the jack is always the female and
the plug is always the male.  Your plugging the jack right.
your not jacking the plug lol.
73
Colin, V A6BKX