From:
Louis Kim Kline <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Aug 2005 18:24:22 -0400
Hi Tom.

I wouldn't conclude just yet that there is anything wrong with your Icom
IC746.  Different radios respond to loads differently, and even if your SWR
is nice and low, if you have a significant reactive component to the load,
some radios can get squirrelly.  That's why I would echo the advice of the
guys that would tell you to check out the radio on a dummy load.  That is
the only way you can be sure what you are working with.  I have even found
that some meters don't read very accurately when the load is very reactive.

73, de Lou K2LKK

At 09:51 PM 8/23/2005 -0400, you wrote:
>Hi, all.
>
>I believe there was a discussion like this on the list regarding
>the Kenwood TS2000 several weeks ago, but I missed the outcome of
>the discussion because I was on vacation.
>
>I'll try to explain my question here, and would appreciate any
>help.
>
>Don't laugh too loud if I'm asking a stupid question here, ok?
>
>Here goes:
>
>I currently use the talking SWR meter that was manufactured for a
>while by Remy Simard.  But, I'm getting very strange readings,
>depending on what rig and antenna I am using.
>
>When I use the talking SWR meter  on my Icom 718, I get an
>output power reading of approximately 100 watts with a 1 to 1 SWR
>reading when emitting a continuous CW tone.  This indeed makes
>sense.  The antenna that I'm doing the testing on with the 718 is
>the Buddipole antenna, with a 25-foot feed line.
>
>However, when I go to my Icom 746 rig, and put it on high power
>which is supposed to be 100 watts, I only seem to get a reading
>of 66 watts output power on CW.  In doing this, I still use a
>continuous CW
>tone, and make sure I'm at a 1 to 1 SWR reading with the antenna
>I'm using.
>
>The only difference I can think of that is causing these strange
>readings is that the feedlines for the antennas that I use with
>the Icom 746 are quite a bit longer than the feedline I use for
>the antenna with the Icom 718.  Specifically, I estimate that the
>feedlines are roughly 100 feet long.
>
>Could this difference in feed line length alone explain the
>discrepancies I'm getting?
>
>Or, could there be something wrong with myIcom 746?
>
>Any help would be appreciated.
>
>Best 73 from Tom Behler: KB8TYJ

Louis Kim Kline
A.R.S. K2LKK